Application error 0xc0000005, otherwise known as Access Violation error is a broad problem and usually appears when users try to open various applications on Windows operating systems. It prevents them from doing so, as all they can press is “OK” which stops the program from being run in the first place.
Nevertheless, some users reported that 0xc0000005 can be related to multiple different programs, or that it pops up when trying to use built-in Windows features, such as Windows Media Player.
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.
The root cause of the 0xc0000005 error is that some component within the system is preventing the application from starting correctly. However, there are multiple reasons why the issue might show up, including corrupted system files, broken Windows registry database files, malware infections, broken hardware (usually RAM), Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature, security software, faulty drivers, etc.
Due to the nature of the 0xc0000005 error, it can be extremely frustrating to users, and might even prevent them from using most of the installed applicaitions on the Windows machine, prompting a full reinstall of the system, which might be extremely time consuming.
In this article, we will try to help you fix the 0xc0000005 error. Note that if you are not as experienced user or do not have time for fixing the computer manually, we recommend you installing Reimage – the software is unique and can help users fix many Windows errors automatically, as it uses an up-to-date databases that consists of 25,000 Windows.
Thus, damaged ones can be replaced by the application without needing to even reboot the system. It can also fix Windows registry – a part of the operating system that should rather not be touched by regular users.
Fix 1. Run System File Checker
System File Checker is a built-in tool that can scan your OS for repair corrupted system files automatically. To access it, you will have to open Command Prompt with Administrative privileges:
- In Cortana’s search box, type in cmd
- You should see Command Prompt in the search results – right-click and select Run as administrator
- As the new window opens, type in the the following line and hit Enter
- Wait till Windows completes the scan
- If any type of system corruption will be found, the damaged files will be repaired automatically
- Reboot your machine and see if 0xc0000005 error persist when trying to open the problematic application
Fix 2. Turn off Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a built-in feature that is used to protect Windows computers from viruses and malware. If the 0xc0000005 error occurs only when trying to use a particular (safe) application, you can disable the feature for it:
- Press Win + R
- Type in sysdm.cpl and hit Enter
- In System Properties window, select Advanced tab
- Pick Settings (under Performance)
- Select Data Execution Prevention tab and then click on Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option
- Click Add
- Open the executable of the program you are having troubles with
- Try open the problematic application and see if 0xc0000005 pops up again. If it did not help, proceed with the next fix
Fix 3. Scan your computer for malware
Malware is a type of malicious software that can perform many tasks and is categorized into Trojans, worms, viruses, ransomware, rootkits, backdoors, and many others. Depending on malware’s goal, it can be programmed to do various things on the host machine, including the prevention of certain apps to be started.
Therefore, there is a chance that 0xc0000005 error is caused by a computer parasite that is lurking in your system. To check if that is (not) the case, you should employ security software and perform a full system scan. You can use a built-in Windows defender or invest in a reputable third-party tool.
Fix 3.5 Temporarily disable your antivirus software
Security software can sometimes cause problems due to incompatibility and other issues. Therefore, when dealing with various Windows errors, it is advisable turning off the anti-malware program protection temporarily and check if the problem persists. Disabling AV can usually be done by clicking the icon at the bottom-right corner and selecting Disable or Exit.
Fix 4. Update computer drivers
Drivers are a vital part of any Windows operating system, and, if anything goes wrong, they might be corrupted, outdated, or simply broken. Thus, you should make sure all your drivers are up to date:
- Right-click on the Start button and pick Device Manager
- Expand the category of drivers that are causing your problems (if you do not know, do it for every device)
- Right-click on the device and select Update Driver
- Pick Search automatically for updated driver software
- Wait till Windows downloads and updates the required drivers
- Reboot your machine
- If not results, repeat for the other devices (Network adapters, Display adapters, HID, etc.)
Fix 5. Check your hardware
There is a chance that 0xc0000005 error fix lies within a new RAM stick(s). Just as any other computer parts, RAM can break, consequently causing Access Violation errors. If you have two RAM sticks, you should take out one of them and see if the problem persists and then repeat it with the other one. Alternatively, you can entirely replace them with new sticks that you know that are working properly.
Fix 6. Reset your PC
Resetting the PC is your last options, as it will delete all the installed applications and you will have to reinstall them all over again. Nevertheless, it will let you keep all your personal files:
- Right-click on the Start button and pick Settings > Update & Security
- Click on Recovery on the left side
- Under Reset this PC, click on Get started
- Select Keep my Files and proceed with the on-screen instructions
We help that this guide helped you fix the annoying 0xc0000005 error!